When renovating your new kitchen, cabinet finishes is probably the last thing you would give thought to (if any), after deciding on the colours, handles, and styles. Maybe you didn’t even know there was a decision there to make. But don’t worry, we have you covered. Contact Character Cabinets to talk to one of our team members about cabinetry finishes or even renovating your kitchen!
What is a gloss finish?
It is a shiny finish that reflects light (which is why white gloss kitchens are so popular and most requested). This style is more suited to a contemporary style kitchen with flat cabinet fronts.
What is a matte finish?
It is a finish that does not reflect ANY light and looks flatter. Perfectly suited for more traditional style kitchen cabinets that have routed fronts.
No matter what material you go for, you are able to select the finish of the cabinetry. Decide between gloss, matte or semi-gloss for the finished look! Have a read through the table of pros and cons for both glossy and matte cabinet finishes and the top tips on where and how to use them:
- Reflects light, making space feel bigger and more open than it actually is (the paler the colour, the higher reflection of light! That's why white is the most popular colour)
- Resists moisture, so it makes it perfect for bathrooms where there are steam and condensation
- Simple to clean, a microfibre cloth can easily pick up any dust sitting on the surface
- Due to the high gloss finish reflecting so much light, fingerprints, dirt and scratches are more noticeable
- Tiny imperfections (ie scratches, fingerprints) are more noticeable on dark coloured gloss finishes than on paler coloured gloss finishes
- Reflections on gloss cabinets are more visible on higher cabinets than below kitchen benchtops as they are more at eye level
- If you have your heart set on high gloss cabinets but concerned about noticeable fingerprints, choose a high gloss finish on your upper cabinets and matte or semi-gloss for your lower cabinets
- Fingerprints, scratches and other imperfections are far LESS noticeable than on gloss finishes
- Colour of matte finish cabinets look more consistent than gloss finish cabinets due to the fact there is no light reflection
- Matte finishes absorb light rather than reflecting it, resulting in a more muted look
- They are not as simple to clean as the surface is not as smooth
- Oil and smudges are not as easy to remove and are more apparent Cannot buff out scratches
- Select a door with a simple profile, as it will cast different shadows on the cabinet fronts creating depth
- Mix two colours together to create contrast and a point of interest
Still feel like neither of these finishes will fit in with your kitchen? Semi-gloss is also an option. Combining the pros from both gloss and matte finishes, they do reflect some degree of light, but as it is SEMI-gloss, it's not as highly reflective. You will also notice fewer fingerprints and is easy to wipe clean just like a gloss finish!
If you are looking to renovate your kitchen, bathroom or any space in your home, be sure to go here and contact us.