Are you thinking of renovating your bathroom to increase your property price to sell later on? Let the experts inform you of what is worth upgrading!
1. Replace bathroom vanity
Replacing the bathroom vanity is one of the quickest and easiest ways to enhance the appearance and functionality of the bathroom. This room has the most foot traffic along with the kitchen so you want the reno to last you at least a decade. As the focal point in this space, you want to ensure that it draws attention from guests when they enter. Opt for plenty of storage space, so surfaces can be neat and tidy and not cluttered with objects that will take away and disrupt the look.
Ask friends and family members that have undergone renovations for any recommendations they may have in regards to trade professionals. If you are feeling lost, don't hesitate to contact us here at Character Cabinets to speak to one of our team members about your plans, so we can help you turn your dreams into a reality. Read up about client testimonials here on Facebook and on our website! Once you have found a trade professional, it will be easy to find the rest. Ask them for any recommendations they have for others they have worked with (tiler, painter, electrician, plumber etc).
2. Extend mirror
This is something that is easily overlooked in a bathroom renovation. Installing a new mirror above your vanity can increase the sense of space making the area feel brighter and more welcoming. Make it as wide as you can - ideally the full width of the wall to allow for various viewing angles. A tip is to position the mirror in a spot where it can reflect natural light and greenery.
3. Replace the toilet
Upgrading the toilet can be a great improvement. No one wants to use an old toilet - do you? Consider replacing dated elements for a more modernised look. If you are on a tight budget, ask your plumber what toilet would work best in your bathroom without having to re-position the pipes. Find toilet styles you like, with the aid of websites like Pinterest or Houzz to see what options are available to you. You should also factor in water efficiency toilets with a high star rating, which can further increase savings on the water bill in the long run.
4. Invest in a bath or shower
Consider the needs of the space and who is using it. If you are renovating the property for profit, give some thought to the target market you are trying to attract. Read more about these considerations here. If you remove your bath, your property may appear less appealing to couples that are expecting or families with small children. Consider who will be using it. Is this home going to be your forever home? If so, and you know that no one uses the bath, you may want to replace it with a modernised walk-in shower as it will increase the space available to get ready and will also be more money friendly towards your wallet when it comes to your water bill.
5. Upgrade tapware
Modernise an outdated bathroom with upgraded tapware. It is very simple and cost effective to implement and can make a big improvement to the overall bathroom. This is something you can DIY that won't require any hired labour.
- Get a couple of quotes from a few places for your renovation. If they are in a similar price range, then you can be sure that it's an accurate price to pay for what you want to be done
- Bathrooms are a very important selling point if you are renovating to sell in the future
- Re-grouting tiles and painting the walls of your bathroom can transform the look of the space dramatically
- If you are on a tight budget, upgrading the tapware and fittings can easily modernise the look of your bathroom
- Make a list of things you like about your bathroom and the things you dislike. This ensures the functionality will still be there while making improvements to things you dislike about your current bathroom
- Have a think about plumbing and electricity. If they don't need to be re-positioned it can save you money in that aspect
- Follow the 60-30-10 rule whereby 60% of the room should be the main colour, 30% the secondary colour and 10% should be the bold, accent colour
If you are after a beautiful stone bench top for your vanity, contact our sister company, Stone with Character. We offer quality products at affordable prices and with over 10 years of experience in design, manufacture and installation, you can't go wrong with selecting us!
If you are new to renovations, it is advised you should hire a registered plumber for the pipes and such for the added sense of security. It is better to leave it to the professionals as things can go south very quickly, and you may have to pay more to fix it in the end.
Thinking of renovating your bathroom? Feel free to contact us to speak to one of our custom design specialists and receive award-winning designs, high-quality service and aftercare! We can help you work within your budget to design and plan your dream bathroom or kitchen!